Quick Byte: Facebook 'Lite' App Quietly Launched

15:00

[caption id="attachment_956" align="aligncenter" width="600"](source: thenextweb.com) (source: thenextweb.com)[/caption]

Facebook's attempt to reach the world end to end is coming to the surface. It looks like they are pretty determined and have started aiming to cater to emerging markets--which brings us the Facebook 'Lite' App. You may not notice this with your 4GB RAM-32GB internal memory-octacore phone, but the Facebook app requires a hefty amount of space and processing power. This is a struggle with lower-end devices, and cannot even be installed on some, truth be told. This new app is said to have cut down on use of resources, thus very lightweight. On the downside, maybe cut short on a few features.

This is a very good step, although, I might add, that some low-end phones already out in the market come with the original Facebook App pre-installed and cannot be removed unless rooted (if rootable)*.
This is based on personal experience. I got myself a Gionee P1 for business use last year, the sales lady might have talked me into getting it so I did. It didn't bother me that there were so many bloatware because I knew I could root the phone and remove everything. Turns out, I couldn't. That was very frustrating. If anyone of you have rooted a P1 by any bizarre chance, please let me know how you did.

I'm guessing we should expect this to replace the original app in the future releases of devices.

You can always use your browser if you are that much in need of social media, but let's face it, you need the app.

Facebook Lite is up in Google Play Store in some countries already, unfortunately, not yet in the Philippines. However, you can download the app from a third-party source and install it. You know the drill.


Here's a link to the download page: Facebook Lite on ApkMirror

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments